How High Tech is Your Home
If the latest technology or entertainment options are important in your new home, add the following questions to your buyer’s checklist.
- Are there enough jacks in every room for cable TV and high-speed Internet hookups?
- Are there ample telephone extensions or jacks?
- Is the home pre-wired for home theater or multiroom audio and video? Does it have in-wall speakers?
- Does the home have a local area network (LAN) for linking computers?
- Does the home already have wiring for DSL or another high-speed Internet connection?
- Does the home have multizoning heating and cooling controls with programmable thermostats?
- Does the home have multiroom lighting controls, window-covering controls, or other home automation features?
- Is the home wired with multipurpose in-wall wiring that allows for reconfigurations to update services as technology changes?
To rate the home on its technological sophistication, fill out the Consumer Electronics Association’s TechHome checklist at www.ce.org/techhomerating.